Thursday, August 25, 2016

Patterns that will be published soon

Progress on some new patterns

I have been busy working on the sailor suit and I now have an American/Australian version of the 1920's sailor suit as well as a European style. I have just got to fine tune the instructions and they will both be out very soon. I am just waiting on a customer to check if I have created what she envisioned for the European sailor suit.

Before the sailor suit request I had the seven gore skirt samples sewn up. It has 3 panels in the front and 4 in the back. The centre one is cut in half to make the back opening, hence 7 panels. This design will include the skirt with a waistband as well as a skirt to add to any of the dress bodices in the Snugfit Range of patterns. I just need to do the instructions.

To have a break from the sailor suit I decided to design a dress from an old McCalls pattern.

It has turned out so cute. I just need to put on the little pocket flaps and the buttons. I will make a few slight changes by making the neck a fraction bigger and flatten out the collar. The sleeves were a bit of a challenge to get the pleats just right to make the sleeve fit into the armhole neatly. I think I will have to make some little white gloves too.

I collect a lot of ideas for doll clothes patterns that I would like to make in my Pinterest Board: Doll Clothes Inspirations.

I am happy to make up requests. Why not have a look through my Pinterest Board and let me know if there is something you would like to have made into a pattern for an 18" doll. The sailor suit was a request and it has been a lot of fun to get the details right.

The girls love getting new outfits.

Happy Sewing,

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Progress on the Sailor Suit for 18" Doll: First Fitting

I am working on a vintage style sailor suit for both a boy doll and a girl doll. I have started on the boy suit first.

First Fitting

There will not be much difference in the style for the girl but I thought I might gather the sleeve at the shoulder a bit and of course it will have a pleated skirt.

The first fitting for the top has revealed that I need to make the sleeve 1/4" shorter. This means I have to adjust the cuff to make 1/8" narrower. The stripes are going to be very narrow on the cuff and the collar.

I lined the bodice to finish the neck edge neatly but this is a bit of a bother so I might just settle for turning the seam to the inside on a single bodice layer. The collar and scarf will hide any under stitching. The only ribbon I could find was a bit narrow. I think I will be making a little scarf and attaching it under the collar at the shoulders. This top opens at the back.

The collar is looking OK but I might try to make it a bit wider at the front and across the shoulders. I think I will actually keep this collar and include the wider one as an option.

There are lots of variations on the sailor suit but I have settled on these two images as my guide.

One is from this page on the Royal Family. Scroll down a bit to the Duke of Windsor as a child.

The other is a little boy on a Christmas card.

I might make the hem of the top a bit wider. I plan to gather it with some narrow elastic so there is enough to tuck in the shorts and then blouse it over the waist band.

Other options will be a band at the bottom of the top.
I really like this design.

I probably won't include a pattern for the shorts or the skirt. The shorts can be made using the 1813 gathered pull-ons pattern and the skirt will be the same as my free pleated skirt with a yoke.

Happy Sewing,

Sunday, August 7, 2016

New Pattern - The Everyday Shirt for 18" Dolls


I so love the shirt look with a collar and stand and button bands. I also love to be able to get the look without too much fiddly sewing. I picked up a pair of jeans to put on the doll and realised they were for the 20" doll pattern 2013 but I really like the relaxed fit.

My latest pattern is an easier version of the Boyfriend Shirt and I call it the Everyday Shirt.

It has a one piece collar and stand that is so easy to sew.
It has a slight gather at the wrists instead of pleats.
It has a nicely finished placket in an under seam. I figured if I was going to the trouble of putting on a cute collar I wanted the placket to be hemmed nicely.

One Piece Collar

Gathered wrist

The Button Band works with fabric that doesn't have an obvious wrong side.
Turn the facing to the inside for a smooth finish.
Make perfect shirt tails using the template

I have already made a nice white version of the Boyfriend Shirt so this time I made a pink gingham shirt and a plaid shirt.

The Boyfriend Shirt is $3.00 USD but the Everyday shirt is a bit of a spin off so I have made it only $2.50 USD.
I'm sure some of you wonder at the great price but I have worked out that if I sold the pattern to a magazine I would be paid a maximum of $500 AUD. This means I have to sell 200 patterns to clear this amount. Since my customers are not limited to walk-ins and I have a huge potential for on-line sales I am very comfortable with my prices and you get quality patterns at a very reasonable price.

My skills are improving over time and I am tempted to design a Couture Collection with a high end price tag to match. At least $10 USD or maybe more. I love the idea of designing high fashion garments in doll size. It is such fun to plan big.

Anyway, back to the Everyday Shirt.
You can now find it in my Etsy Shop and it will be coming soon to Craftsy, Craftumi (AUD) and Makerist (EUR).

Happy Sewing,