Thursday, January 22, 2015

Finishing Armholes and Neck Edge with Lace


When I made my first petticoat I used narrow lace to finish the armhole and neck edges. Since this petticoat is part of my Doll Designs Mini collection I wasn't going to explain how I did this in the instructions. I figured it would be easy to find a method with a google search. However, no matter what search terms I put in I couldn't find just the method I used. I'm not even sure where I first saw it.

So I needed a tutorial to point my customers too.

Place the narrow lace on the fabric edge right sides together with edge of the lace you don't want to see level with the raw edge of the fabric.



Stitch it along the edge with a 1/4" seam.




I trimmed the seam and lace back to 1/8". If you are using the ready made gathered lace that has the 1/4" finished edge don't trim the seam or lace just the 1/4" seam allowance to the wrong side.



Fold the lace and the fabric towards the wrong side. I didn't bother pressing before top stitching.



Top stitch along the middle of the seam shadow.



Great finish for underwear.


Happy Sewing,
Val