|Make this cute school dress by combining patterns|
from Valspierssews Doll Clothes
I noticed there is a new American Girl Doll with some cute 50's style doll clothes. I really liked her school dress and knew I could make something similar with pieces from patterns I already had.
You can also download the print friendly version I created with the collar and folder divider.
To make this dress I used the bodice back and front from 1804 Snugfit Carol, the scoop neck front from 1810 Snugfit Irene and the sleeves from 1806 Snugfit Elaine. I cut down the collar from 1804 to make a narrow Peter Pan collar. I have put the collar in the free file.
I designed a folder divider page so you can print out the pieces and keep them together. I can see myself making several different colour ways with this design.
- The first thing I did was put the two fronts together and trim off a fraction to make them exactly the same around the armholes and at the waist edge.
- Next draw a line 1/2” to one side of the centre front of 1810 front. Place this new line on the fold of the check fabric so you get extra in fin the centre to make a pleat.
- Make the pleat in the centre front so the centre of the pleat is in line with the centre front.
- Stitch the top and bottom to secure the pleat.
- Cut a bias strip of black fabric 2.5cm x 20cm (1” x 8”). Press it in half then press one long side to the centre. Open out and stitch the other long side, right side to wrong side of the neckline. Press the binding up over the seam allowance. Fold it to the right side. Turn in the edge and pin. Stitch the binding down close to the edge.
- Place the low neck front on top of the 1804 white front. Baste the side edges.
- Cut a bias strip from the black fabric 3.8cm x 15cm (1 1/2” x 6”). Press it in half. Stitch it to the right side of the front waistline. Stitch just less than 1/4” from the edge so this row of stitching will not show after stitching on the skirt.
- Do the collar and sleeves from the 1804 instructions. I just did a 1/4" hem on the sleeves.
- Overlock the hem edge. Turn up 1/4” and stitch starting and finishing 2” from each end.
- Stitch the ribbon to the skirt 1” from the hemline.
- Fold the back facings to the wrong side and stitch across them with a 1/4” seam allowance at the hemline. Turn. Finish the hem.
- Stitch on the 3 buttons.
- Make a bow for the neck. Stitch it to the front. I tied a short length of ribbon in a single knot, trimmed the ends at an angle and stitched it to the neck with a bar tack. (Zig zag on zero length.)
- Put fastenings on the back.